Thursday, June 12, 2014

Motivating yourself vs Patronizing yourself

We have all been there, not wanting to go work out, practice, go on a run, or whatever, but feeling like you HAVE to. There is zero motivation except for your little fitness conscious telling you to "be good"and "just do it" as Nike likes to say. You are tired and you simply have not passion, no motivation, and energy. Do you do it anyways? I have seen so many work out motivations as of late and they caused me to consider these moments of internal struggle. Where is the line between patronizing yourself and motivating yourself and how do you separate them?
Here are a few examples of what I am talking about :
I'm not gonna lie; they are all blazingly truthful rhetoric with the aim of getting you off the couch. But they are also an undeniable guilt trip. I think the point I am getting at is that some days it is ok not push yourself when you're not motivated, because honestly you are not gonna have that fire in your eyes every single damn day and that should be ok. It is called self-compassion and being kind to ourselves. We live in a world where we put too much pressure on ourselves and that is why we end up quitting or getting burned out because we pushed ourselves when there was no passion too many times. It is all about the intention behind what we are going. I know so many times that I have gone down into the dance studio to practice and my intention was to get a million calorie burning workout, but I ended up having a sucky session and feeling worse off than I would have if I had just gone with the mindset to go do something I love and not about "pushing myself." That is term that I think our culture needs a tune up on. It has come to means something of forcing yourself to keep going even when you do not have it in you and it connotative of perseverance and being strong willed. But I don;t always think "pushing ourselves" is the answer. I think we need to mentally redefine this term as "knowing your capable of more and seeing to it that you achieve that." The difference in semantics is that sometimes we are not always capable of more and that should be ok, and we should be willing to show ourselves grace because the results will be better in the long run. 
Often times I get this uncontrollable urge to dance and I will go barricade myself in my studio and have this amazing practice session where it is just me and music and I am infused with passion for what I am doing and I end up lying on the floor drenched in sweat and exhilarated. I was not working out. I was living. This is so much different from those times where I feel like I need to work out and I force myself to go dance and it is not the same. In fact I feel regressive in my artistry at those times. 
I should also note that this mentality of self-compassion needs to be supplemented with hard work and determination. You are not going to get anywhere if all you do is mollycoddle yourself and make excuses. It is about finding a balance or when to show yourself love and mercy and when to hold yourself to the higher standard that you know you are capable of and that will be more rewarding. Often times it is just getting dressed and heading to the gym that is the hardest part and if you can do that you have already conquered yourself mentally and all that's left is physical. 
Essentially, find passion in what you do, if there is no passion, there are no results. Simple as that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment