Monday, June 9, 2014

Diet of a poor college student

I like the finer things in life, I really do. That means I refused to eat ramen noodles and synthetic sugars and chemicals three meals a day as most college students do. I also do not believe that you have to be wealthy to eat healthy, anyone who disagrees with me I will gladly hold their hand and accompany them to the grocery store. Therefore I decided to post some of go-to meals that I cook during the week and how much they cost:
1. teriyaki chicken
buy yourself a bottle of soy sauce, some high fructose corn syrup-free ketchup, honey, brown sugar, and garlic salt and this will last you a year's worth of delish chicken for about $10
mix all this up to the consistency you desire then let chicken marinate for a little as long as you want. Bake at 400 for 20 min with the last 5 on broil to brown the top. boom hello delish. I highly recommend doing this with wings or drumsticks which will run you about 1.50$ per pound so they are stupidly affordable and each package is good for at least 2 meals! Serve with veggies of choice!
2. honey, soy and garlic chicken
chop up some of that 70 cent garlic and toss it in a fry pan with olive oil (just buy it, it will save your arteries in the long run) and as soon as they begin to brown toss defrosted chicken breasts or cutlets in the pan. Drizzle with honey and a couple table spoons of soy sauce. Cover with a lid and let it steam cook all the way through until brown and crispy on outside.Serve with veggies! Bon appetite !
3. Bbq pork loin
this will run you about 7$ for a package of pre marinated pork loin at Trader Joes, but is delish and will get you a few days worth of left overs! Seriously just follow the cooking directions ( so day my cat could do it) and top with bbq sauce ( free of high fructose corn syrup of course!) oh yeah and this is really good with apple sauce on the side
4. Split Pea soup
Go to the grocery store. Find dried peas. Buy dried green split peas. Follow cooking directions. Add chicken bouillon to boiling water. Add carrots, onion and ham while cooking. You have just prepared a meal worth half your daily serving of fiber, all of you servings of veggies and half of your daily serving of protein. You're welcome. Oh and it barely cost you 4$.
5. Chicken Stew
Boil some water, add some chicken bouillon, onions, celery, soy sauce and garlic salt to taste. Add raw chicken as it begins a rolling boil and then cover. Add chopped carrots and potatoes and whatever else tickles the fancy. Let it cook about 20 min still boiling. Then pour a little broth into a bowl and mix with equal parts corn starch. Add the mixture back to the pot and watch the broth thicken to stew. Can I get a yum?
This is basically what I lived off of this year and it was pretty delicious and nutritious if I do say so myself. I will probs add more later too!

No comments:

Post a Comment